Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Brianne Grant's thesis on Education in YA Lit

Back on July 9th, 2007, I blogged about Brianne Grant's article "Opening the Cache of Canadian Secrets: The Residential School Experience in Books for Children."

Today, I point you to Grant's thesis: Where Hope Lives: An Examination of the Relationship Between Protagonists and Education Systems in Contemporary Native North American Young Adult Fiction.

She considers educational systems as portrayed in four novels:
  • The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
  • The Porcupine Year, by Louise Erdrich
  • Good for Nothing, by Michel Noel
  • No Time to Say Goodbye: Children's Stories of Kuper Island Residential School, by Sylvia Olsen, written with Rita Morris and Ann Sam
I'm partway through it (gotta stop and do some writing of my own) and look forward to sitting down with it when I have more time. Her thesis may prove perfect for my History of American Indian Education course next spring.

1 comment:

Jean Mendoza said...

Very interesting piece by Ms. Grant -- logically written and organized, thoughtful and informative! Thanks for connecting us to it.